Hand from an artificial arm, 1920-1925.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Artificial arm invented by a surgeon, T S Kirk, and an engineer, Alexander Pringle, and manufactured by the P & K Artificial Limb Company, Belfast, (now Northern) Ireland. Known as the P-K arm, the design allowed the wearer to grip with the fingers, which were made of steel springs, by means of a lever set above the wrist and operated by the wearer's other hand. Close-up view.