Artificial leg, 'Anglesey' type, 1890-1920.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Wooden 'Anglesey' type artificial leg for an above-knee amputee. The design of the limb was originally developed by London limb-maker James Potts in 1800 and was popularised when worn by the Marques of Anglesey, Henry Paget (1768-1854), who lost his leg during the battle of Waterloo, 1815. This example was made by Blatchford, London. Full view, side on.