Studio photograph of an artificial arm and a plaster cast of the wearer's arm stump, used to ensure a correct fit. The arm was manufactured by James Gillingham (1839-1924), a boot- and shoemaker based in Chard, Somerset. Gillingham first started making artificial limbs after a local man lost an arm firing a cannon for a celebratory salute in 1863. He then began making prostheses on a permanent basis and Chard eventually became a major centre of the British artificial limb industry.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library